West Chester Cycling Club

West Chester Cycling Club
Not a member of the Rider's Blog? Contact Mike V. or Dan S to join!

West Chester weather

"B" Riders: Pick your Winter Training Route

"B" Riders: Pick your Winter Training Route
#145-Broad Run-ChestnutLn-Mortonville#2 (34.1 miles)
#138-Broad Run-ChestnutLn-Mortonville (33.5 miles)
# 87-Green Valley-Wilson-LondonGroveRd (41.0 miles)
# 161-GreenValley-FrogHollow-Modena (38.7 miles)
Other: Please e-mail wccc.bike.rider@verizon.net
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Clincher Racing Tire Selection

I've recently been doing some research to support my next racing tire purchase. I've run out of miles on my 2 year old Continental Grand Prix Supersonics. Unfortunately they stopped making the 20mm in the 650c, so I've got to find my next best option.

I posted the question to the Roadbikereview forum and had both the Michelin Pro2 Race and the Tufo Jet Elite (which is a tubular that fits on a clincher rim). Both came in 23mm 650c, the same that Continental now offers with the Supersonics.

So I found myself trying to balance between weight, puncture resistance, rolling resistance, max PSI, aerodymics, etc. Here is a link to an article that was useful in this process: link

I ended up going with the Supersonics for the following reasons:
- they have worked well for me in the past
- none of these are known for longevity, so I will only be using them during races
- race courses tend to be 'cleaner' and I won't have to worry as much about road debris
- the only significant downside to these tires when compared to the other tires is puncture resistance; in all other categories, I believe these to be better tires

One of these years I'll probably make the leap to the tubulars, but I'm not ready just yet.

Anyway, thought I would share.

Follow my Ironman Journey Blog here: Ironman 2007 and feel free to post comments / advise.

No comments:

Archive

Cyclingpost.com - Fast cycling news and results

Bicycling Magazine Features